The Joy of Pancakes

People, I love my food. I always have, and to a fault for most of my life. It's taken me decades to learn how to manage my hunger/emotional eating. Luckily I'm tall which helps balance out any excess weight, but if I'm not really careful it will shoot up and take forever to bring down again.

When I went vegetarian, it was easier. At that time I was also a workout fanatic and a runner, clocking in five miles a day, followed by weights and long stretching sessions. Ahhh, those were the days. Working out like that, sweating like crazy and then showering was one of the things that helped me get through being a new mother, and being stuck in Eugene for way too long. I wasn't depressed, I was healthy and happy with all that physical activity.

Then...the old back broke. When I couldn't run anymore, or even workout much, I was forced to confront my diet. If I didn't do something I would hit the old middle age slippery slope and get fat and sick. So I went vegan. That did the trick. 22 pounds lost, energy up, never sick, looked better in clothes, felt great. And so it went for many more years until the back broke a little bit more. :(

I'll never eat another way, I'm sure, back or no back. The fact that I never get sick, no colds, no flu, no nothing, is reason enough. The weight thing is another. Add in the fact that I don't kill any animals, well there's the best bonus in the world.

So all that said, I do indulge from time to time and last Sunday we ate these decadent, delicious, and totally vegan pancakes for brunch. Give yourself a body/animal/world-friendly treat and try them yourself. You won't miss a thing but heart disease. xoxo

Carrot Cake Pancakes with Yogurt Coconut Cream frosting
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, soy, yeast. Can be made gluten-free.
Makes 6 pancakes
Ingredients: 1/4 c walnuts
my less-beautiful, but equally-as-delicious results
1/2 tsp oil
1 Tbsp sugar or finely ground sweetener
1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, clove powder and a pinch of nutmeg

Pancake Batter:
1 1/4 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1 Tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger powder
a generous pinch of clove and nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp maple.syrup
1/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup water
1 tsp lemon juice

Yogurt Coconut Cream Frosting:
1/4 cup non dairy yogurt (I used So Delicious Vanilla coconut milk yogurt) or vegan cream cheese
1/3 cup coconut cream (the thick cream that settles on the top of the can after refrigerating for a few hours) or cashew cream
1 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
1/4 cup ground raw sugar or other sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp or more lemon juice
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Method:
Grate the carrots, or pulse in a blender/food processor to a coarse shred. Pulse the walnuts to small pieces. I used my blendtec. (total 1.25 cups of grated carrots and chopped walnuts).
In a pan, add oil and heat at medium. Add the carrot walnut mixture and roast for 3 minutes. Add the sugar and spices. Mix and cook for another 4 minutes. Reserve a Tbsp of the mixture to top the pancakes.

In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients of the pancake mix. Add the spices and mix. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine. Add more water if needed. Keep the batter thicker than usual so it can hold a lot of carrots.
Add the carrot walnut mixture and mix to combine. 
Make 4-5 pancakes. Heat a pan on medium heat. Drizzle a few drops of oil. when the pan is hot, Spread the batter to form same size circles. The batter will be thicker than usual pancake batter, so use a spoon to shape. 
Cook 4-6 minutes each side. 

Make the frosting: Combine everything under frosting in a bowl. Taste and adjust sour and sugar. Spread a Tablespoon or more frosting between each pancake to bring out the sweetness. 
Drizzle the frosting on the stacked pancakes or apply evenly with a spatula. 
Sprinkle the roasted carrot walnut mixture on top and serve.


Comments

Popular Posts