"Cry to the angels, And let them swallow you, Go and part the sea, yeah, in Malibu" -- Hole

Our moment of Zen? Cruising down the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Monica, Palm trees and beach houses flashing by, Fleetwood Mac blasting on the radio.  It doesn't get much better than that!






video
Four days of 80 degree weather in blousey tops and sandals, riding bikes along the Venice boardwalk, drinking beer on the Santa Monica 3rd street promenade, seeing friends in Palos Verdes. Eating vegan muffins and smelling the sweet spicy scent of Eucalyptus trees in Topanga Canyon. Truly California Perfection.  My amazing grandmother perched in her old folks home aerie patio on 15th street, reminiscing over lemonade about the good old days of motorcycle rides and sailing trips. My favorite aunt Caroline calling "Yahoo!" when we knocked on her condo door. And the most-hospitable hotel staff greeting us, "Welcome back Mrs. Rios".  "Have a great day Mr. Rios".  We could get used to that!
   I love California. Santa Monica is a magic pearl by the sea.  Even the crazy collagen lips I saw at the "El Chollo" restaurant couldn't dim the wonder.

Comments

Wow, what a trip! I am super jealous. I want to be in the sun! Aye aye aye aye
Bonnie Story said…
Wow Di - OMG is that Nana?? She looks great!!! She must be in her late 90's like my Granny - she's 97 and still kickin' butt. I am proud to say that i was born in Santa Monica, it's really a special place to visit. Living there... not so much. But wonderful to go "back home." Great photos. the little patio you are photographed on reminds me of the bungaloes in Venice Beach - Rick's bachelor pad was there. Remember muscle beach?? Diane, your celebrity portraits are absolutely amazing. Your command of your unique art medium is really so stunning. I love seeing your work on the blog, pleeez keep it comin'. You amaze me!!! Rawk on!!
Diane said…
Bonzo! I LOVE that we have Santa Monica in common, and that is where we met. One of the greatest joys of my life! And I love that you remember Nama, how incredible that we go back so far. She is doing well, although pretty deep in dementia. She lives at a posh rest home and dominates at bingo.
Believe it or not, I want to live in Santa Monica again...stay tuned for pertinent developments.
And thanks for your support of my artwork!
I'll keep posting it!
Miss you,
xoxoxo Diane

POPULAR POSTS