City at Night, and sewing!

Portland is so beautiful, it takes my breath away.  Working in Northwest and commuting from the east side I get to see downtown in all its glory, all times of day. The architecture in Portland is wildly diverse and truly lovely. There are glimpses of ancient plastered cornices and rusting, once-elegant fire escapes, nestled up next to a brand new shining blue glass building, complete with wind turbines on top.  There are wooden water towers atop brick warehouses converted into upscale restaurants, next to a mom and pop carburetor shop that's got the original vintage signage still up.  It's lovely, it's surprisingly lovely.





I took another sewing class, this time SEWING BASICS II!!!  I took it at the wonderful shop "Joanne's Drygoods" on 11th and Washington.  I highly recommend these classes, the teacher Elizabeth Miles is so helpful and really knows her stuff.  I made a dress, but I'm still finishing the sash, so you have to wait to see it.  In the meantime, here are some photos of Joanne's storefront, after class, and of the lovely buildings next door.

Comments

I forgot to tell you. When i was visiting last week. I paged you at powell's. But sadly you were not working!

Miss you!
Stephilius said…
I would think you'd be someone who already knew how to sew. I think of you as the perfect femme au foyer - though I have no actual knowledge to back that up!

I love to sew. But since I don't have a place to leave the machine out, I never do it. Sad....
Diane said…
Oh mes amis, one day I will know how to sew a brocade gown, faced with grow-grain ribbon and smocked with flecks of crepe. Isn't fashion language delicious?
Diane said…
I meant, of course, "gros-grain" ribbon, quel faux pas!
Stephilius said…
"Gros-grain" - it's only French! Hehe. And would you really want a gown with "flecks" of crêpe? Sounds kind of messy.... But, if anyone could carry it off, it'd be you, huiteuse.

PS - you should check out my new blog. Yes, you really should.... :)
Diane said…
Tiny steel grey pieces (flecks?)of silk crepe, woven into a shirred, brocade bodice, creating texture and a romantic lightly layered effect. Wierd, but beautiful.
I'm going to your new blog right now!
xo d
Stephilius said…
I'll have to see this garment, before I can make sense of it; I remain confused....

Did you go to the blog? Even if you hated it, you should "follow" it. It's always so wretched when you have no followers! ;(

Popular Posts