J'aime les gens de Haiti



One month after the devastating earthquake in Haiti, while people are still recovering or even perishing from their injuries, while the towns and buildings are still lying in heaps, I get an amazing photograph.
Two weeks before the earthquake struck, I received an order through work for a large amount of french children's books for an orphanage in Haiti. In curating this order there were specific guidelines to be aware of. For example, don't include books that emphasize what the orphans do not have, such as family, or western values with opulent settings. Avoid a strictly french perspective, and nothing about Christmas because they don't celebrate that in Haiti. I was able to find all kinds of books that the children might like, animal books and nature books, books about inspiring characters and friendship. It was wonderful, choosing the books and imagining them being read by the kids. We sent off the order and waited for any word of how it was received.
Then the earthquake hit.
I couldn't believe it. Were the kids ok? Was the client who ordered the books ok? And where were the books? Destroyed? It was surreal. A couple of weeks ago we got word from the client that she was fine, and so was the school. Such relief!
Then, yesterday I got this amazing photo, along with another order for more french children's books. It is a photo of the teachers reading the very books I picked out. They loved the selection and want more. I am so happy to see this beautiful photo amidst all the descriptions of devastation I see every night on the news. It truly boggles my mind to think that something I held in my hands, and selected with care, is there right now, in the hands of the teachers and the kids. A blessing for me, for sure!

Comments

noelle said…
that is awesome!

Popular Posts