Magic Time!



My GOD I love vacations.
Sauntering along the boulevards in knee length summer skirts, giant sunglasses askew, swinging the rental car keys and sipping my disgusting airport coffee, is SO MUCH FUN!!! Almost as much fun as wheeling my newly-rented car into the driveway of our swanky LA hotel next to the ocean!

Cora and I had a blast during our stay in Santa Monica. We hung out with my delightful 92 year-old grandmother Nama, as I call her, is still quite a personality, spelling things out loud at the top of her voice, and dominating the Bingo circle. She seems to need to shout out her approval of things, ("Hey Mister! You have a NICE SMILE! S-M-I-L-E, SMILE!!") or whatever she's feeling particular about at any given moment. ( "I always loved animals, at least those with FOUR HEALTHY LEGS! L-E-G-S, LEGS!!") I find it endearing and hilarious, but not all of her roommates do. "Get her out of here!" commanded one elderly lady. We pretended not to notice, and spent our time on the sunny patio, petting the resident cat and enjoying the ocean breeze. ( The print in the cement is for Harp-o Marx!)

Cora and I did all kinds of things besides hang with Nama, I mustered up the Nerve to drive our little rental car on two freeways and 23 miles into Hollywood! We found a parking place right off Hollywood Blvd. and walked past Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Kodac Theater, where the Oscars are held. What a thrill! I saw my favorite star's hand prints and foot-prints, Jack Lemmon, Gregory Peck, Rita Hayworth. Cora thrilled over the cast of Harry Potters' prints. We met up with Shrek and the Donkey, and I had a very cute Joker impersonator wish me a Happy Mother's Day.

Cora and I made it to Melrose Avenue and once again screwed up the courage to try the impossible: we went into the West Hollywood Fred Segal store. From the LA guide book I had, we ascertained that apparently this location is the most "celebrity-heavy" one, and that Jennifer Anniston ( Cora's favorite) shopped there. What a beautiful store, filled with art pieces for clothing. After we left we stopped by a West Hollywood garage sale, but it was crap.
Cora and I loved our hotel. The Double tree Inn gave us the royal treatment, putting us on the top floor with an ocean view. We could also see the pool AND the Santa M0nica Pier with its flashing Ferris Wheel.

We didn't see any stars, although that COULD have been Nick Nolte I almost bumped into at Whole Foods, or it could have been some other kind of tall, blond, faintly homeless-looking guy.

I really seem to be kicking my fear of flying. Evidently two beers and 3 fat fashion magazines, together with my lucky "Kate Moss" bracelet I bought in Brooklyn, are the perfect medicine.
Welcome home, to me!


Comments

i'm so happy you both had a fab time in Cail! Way to Go Senorita Rios!!! Aye aye aye!!!

Popular Posts