Currycomb Club


This is one of my favorite books "Saddles for Breakfast". Written in 1961 it's a great example of the ideal life in the 1950's and '60's. The wonderfully innocent expressions ( "don't worry Mom, those bums won't be coming around again!") and descriptions of everyone from the local policeman to the snooty rich girls, to the Drunk-with-a-heart of gold are totally charming. The protagonist, 16 year-old Robin undergoes the typical transformation of any protagonist -- challenges leading to personal growth and redemption, followed by a bright future. ( By the way, this future includes a one "Guy Kennedy", a slim college boy with a big hunter/jumper named "Tampico".)

I've read this book about 40 times. It was one of my best friends when I was about ten. It sits in a place of honor on my bookshelf.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS