Hallelujah for Richard Dawkins!


I discovered a wonderful person today, Richard Dawkins. I've never heard his name before, but evidently he's been blowing people's minds for decades. RD is an "evolutionary biologist" amongst other things, and teaches at Oxford University. He is an atheist, and a lover of Einstein. He speaks about touchy subjects such as religion and science with succinct clarity that makes my hair stand on end with relief. Finally, someone who is so educated, so articulate and so unequivocally RIGHT speaks all the words I would if I was able. He has written many books, the latest is "The God Delusion". I heard him interviewed on NPR today. He is respectful and completely thorough in his address of the compatibility of science and religion. Without laughing or sneering (which I could not do) he reminded the listening audience that 46% of Americans believe that the universe was created by a single mind, and is only 6,000 years old. (I'm sure those are the people who voted for Bush.)
Go here to see Richard Dawkin's website, and order yourself a "Scarlet Letter T--A is for Atheist".
http://richarddawkins.net/

and here for a very interesting interview: http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2005/04/30/dawkins/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Diane, Tony here - welcome to the Richard Dawkins Fan Club! You sound like a thoroughly switched-on person. I first read Richard's 1976 seminal work "The Selfish Gene" about ten years ago, and have been thinking about its ideas EVERY day since. If you haven't read it, please get your hands on a copy - the writing is superb, the logic is impecable, and the ideas are radical but unforgetable. Both scientists and philosophers today agree that this view of the world pretty much explains just about everything. Best wishes from Kangaroo Island, South Australia.
Diane said…
Thank you Tony, I will get myself a copy of that book! I'm glad to join Richard's posse, and to know there are so many other people out there already in it. Take care, and thanks for reading my blog!
Diane

POPULAR POSTS