First Thursday, but Not the Last

The Benchmark Art Group has a Portland branch! This group was formed 7 years ago in Eugene from a linoleum block printmaking class at Lane Community College. Through the years we grew and boasted some of the best printmakers in Oregon as our members. We met every month at somebody's house and ate delicious food and looked at each other's recent work. I learned so much from those people!! And now, four of us have moved to Portland and we're keeping it going. Last night we met for the second time and took in some of the First Thursday art walk. We had a great time!!!
Meeting at Powell's Books coffee shop we headed out into the brewery blocks, stopping at the Elizabeth Leach gallery. To my surprise there was Daniel, a guy I know from Eugene, who is now the DIRECTOR of the gallery! He looked quite dapper and was very knowledgable about the movers and shakers in the gallery scene.
We stopped at PDX and saw the most beautiful ink paintings of little girls, all unframed and tacked together in a grid on the wall. Very effective, and made me want to run right home and make ink paintings and tack them to the wall.
We went to another gallery, I forget the name, where they showed huge, desolate photos of abandoned swimming pools. All pale pinks and dirty aquas with sad palm trees beside them. I loved it! They had latin snacks there...strange candies and this adorable "fresh strawberry" napkin that I filched. I like the smiling gay latino guy on it!
Then we ran down to 5th and Couch street (through torrents of rain, but my new flats from Imeldas held up admirably, unlike my ponytail) and visited my friend Morgan Pasinski at her brand new studio. GORGEOUS! An old freight elevator takes you up to the 4th floor where there are several art studios, and Morgan's beautiful space overlooking Chinatown. From her huge windows you can see the "Made In Oregon" sign (the one with the White Stag deer on it), the Old Town tower and a bit of the Chinatown gate. It's the studio dreams are made of. Morgan is a painter and makes beautiful layered paintings with people and birds. There's a SUPER COOL chicken she did on a piece of glass that I love.
That was the end of my tour, I had brought Cora along and she was ready to go home. I am definitely doing that again next month. Stay tuned!

Comments

Crabby Amy said…
ooohhh.... I wish I could have gone but my kids have been miserable!! hopefully next month... by the way Morgan, it looks good!! :)
Rob said…
Hmmm one of these days perhaps we could get a gaggle of us folks together and do a First Thursday crawl....with wine...or Ouzo....

--Pirate Rob
Diane said…
Pirate Rob! We could try Last Thursday on Alberta street, even! You bring the Ouzo...
Morgan said…
This is so cool. I've never been "blogged" about before, to my knowledge. Thanks so much for coming out and supporting me, Diane. BTW, I sold the chicken painting later that night! MP

Popular Posts