Beauty in Borneo


A "new" leopard had been found. Actually, this absolutely gorgeous Bornean Clouded Leopard has been there all along, but only now are scientists noticing significant differences from other Clouded Leopards. This is one of the main predators on the island of Borneo and Sumatra. This leopard's last great forest home is a mountainous region of rainforest the size of Kansas in the Heart of Borneo. It sounds like a fantastic place! The website Physorg.com says that scientists has identified at least 52 new species of animals and plants over the past year in Borneo. Evidently the ministers of government in Borneo signed a declaration to conserve and sustainably manage the Heart of Borneo. What great news! I hope they can enforce this declaration. Now if we can only follow suit and find a way to protect the Florida keys, the Great Barrier Reef and the Amazon rainforest. These are hopeful signs, however!

I have just returned from an evening event at my place of employment. Frans Lanting, the National Geographic photographer and conservationist spoke, and I got to meet him. A very nice, quiet man who, according to the patrons who actually saw him speak (I just met him in the gift store) is a compelling, inspirational speaker. I felt like a groupie at a rock concert when I said gushingly, I LOVE your work! But what the heck else do I say? I do love his work! I wish I had brought a tee shirt with me to have him sign. Wouldn't that be cool to wear around this summer? I could draw a primate on it in Sharpie and have Frans Lanting's signature! Damn.

Comments

Crabby Amy said…
boy you are quick!! ;)
Darcy said…
Diane, you are so brilliant and amazing... always exploring your world with wonderment. Very inspiring! Keep it up - you make me want to try harder!

POPULAR POSTS