And He Shall be Levon, And He Shall Be a Good Man


I just have to declare my love for Elton John. How can we resist the short-in-front,long-on-sides hair, the glasses of course, the earnest delivery? The voice, the chords and hooks and soaring crescendos. Not to mention the sparkles, I MEAN COME ON. I hid my love for EJ all through my punk years, never whispering it to a soul, never ever listening to the wonderful songs I remember from my sunkissed youth in Santa Monica. Driving down Pacific Coast Highway in my mom's van, looking at the palm trees and hearing "Philadelphia Freedom". Mom singing, and our dear gay friends Bobby and Breck singing too. Southern California 1970's PERFECTION! Fast foward past the 80's which were not kind to EJ, to 2007. Middle aged me HAS to go the Rose Quarter in Portland and finally see him live. I've never ever been to a huge show before. Thousands of small shows in basements and houses of ill repute, but never a stadium. The biggest show I've ever seen before this was probably The Beastie Boys at the Salem Armory. It was amazing. He played all the old ones and even though he can't hit the high notes anymore, he can still TOTALLY ROCK. And he's such a sweetheart! Blowing kisses from his piano. We were up near the rafters so I could see the entire audience bathed in crazy lights, swirling in patterns. I was amazed to see a "signer", someone who signs to deaf people, signing all his songs! There was a deaf section! This signer guy was fantastic, giving all the words emotional emphasis, and dancing to the beat. Even deaf people love Elton John! I wore my new locally designed fashion top and some pointy heels for the occasion. Even though he couldn't see me, I screamed and hooted and...well, yes I cried. His songs are so beautiful! Even if they're corny. Elton himself was dressed rather understated...simple long coat over matching dark pants, but every so often there HIS DIAMOND CROSS laying against his SILK CRAVAT would catch the lights and sparkle. Good ol' Elton John. All of the profits from this entire tour were going to AIDS research. Now THAT rocks. This is a picture taken from my cell phone during the concert.

Comments

Tim said…
Always lovely when a show makes you cry. Happened to me when I went to a Sufjan Stevens gig (and Brian Wilson, for that matter), and I had to stab myself in the face with a Biro so that everyone could see I had a MANLY reason to blub.

And no coincidences to report today at this end. Though I do know a gay guy called Robert.
Tim said…
Oh, and I just got nosy with your profile, and The Minutemen fucking rock !! As did Firehose subsequently...
Milo said…
I probably never told you this, but the first concert I ever went to just happened to be Elton John at Dodger Stadium in 1975. Check it out!
http://www.eltonjohnitaly.com/dodgerstadium1975.html
ann said…
I am so Relieved....I like Elton too. We went to a huge concert in Auckland in the 90's.
Love your blog.
ann

POPULAR POSTS