Are You There God? It's me, Samuel Pepys



This diary is a treasure. Written in the 1600's by Samuel Pepys, an english naval officer, it describes in delicious detail the daily life in Restoration England. This was a facinating time in english history because it encompasses the execution of Charles I, coronation of Charles II, THE PLAGUE, and the Great London Fire. Samuel Pepys records everything from his kidney stone operation and the annual celebration he and his wife hold for his recovery, to his frequent indiscretions with household maids. It cracks me up because when he writes about this, he uses a mangled half-french as a sort of illicit code, but it fools no one. For example " "I did come to sit avec Betty Michell, and there had her main, which elle did give me very frankly now, and did hazer whatever I voudrais avec l', which did plaisir me grandement"
His French is clear - avec = with, main = hand, elle = she, hazer = make, voudrais avec la = would have with her, plaisir = pleasure, grandement = greatly, besar = kiss " Crazy! And so funny he would think it would keep his secret secure!
I found this nutty BBC for kids site that had the scariest computer drawings of Samuel Pepys' life. In the plague sequence there were acid green halos around the victims that you could click on to give further description. For example: "One sympton was a circle of spots known as the "Ring of Roses". So creepy!
I read a great historical fiction novel called "The Journal of Mrs. Pepys" which was written from the perspective of his wife. It was a LOT shorter than Mr. Pepys' diary, and gave a sort of "Cliff Notes" version of his life. A randy romp in the 1600's!

Comments

Crabby Amy said…
You need to get some sleep. 5:41 a.m.?!? just kidding! ;) very cool post though.....
Crabby Amy said…
LOVE the website you told me about!! Totally kicks ass....

POPULAR POSTS